My Experience with a Virtual Assistant using TimeSvr

Dewey_Defeats_Truman_2010_03_10.jpg

Predicting the future with bold certainty is not for the faint of heart. It’s a hard job. A few get it right; most just get egg on their face.

Want some examples?

• In 1948, the Chicago Daily Tribune gambled that Dewey would beat Truman in the US Presidential election and ran the presses before the final result was certain, a mistake that literally made front page news.
  • In 1936, the New York Times asserted that “A rocket will never leave the earth’s atmosphere.” Wrong.
  • Tradition attributes “There is a world market for maybe 5 computers.” to Thomas Watson of IBM in 1943. Wrong again.

Finding More Time

In a similar vein, pundits and marketing folks predicted that the personal computer would revolutionize the way we work, that we would get more done in less time, and that the work week may actually shrink to 25 or 30 hours as a result of our increased productivity.

Ha! I wish that was the case! Most people that I know are working longer and harder than ever. There just seems to be much more to do in our professional and personal lives just to keep up, not to mention trying to get ahead.

einstein_2010_03_11.jpg

Hey Buddy, do you have the time?

With so many activities and only a finite amount of time to devote to them, something has to give. You can either stop doing some of the activities. Or, you can somehow find more time. Since most people either really enjoy their activities (leisure) or feel compelled to keep at them (work), finding more time is the more appealing option.

But how to find more time? Unless you get into Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, time is a fixed asset. Everyone has exactly the same amount of time during the course of a week: 168 hours.

The answer: offload some of your activities to someone else, also known as delegation. But what if you don’t have anyone that reports to you? What if you don’t have an assistant to whom to delegate?

Enter: the Virtual Assistant.

Using a Virtual Assistant

With this in mind, I recently decided to try a Virtual Assistant. This is an industry that has really gained in popularity over recent years. If you’re not familiar with the term, essentially it’s like having a personal assistant that’s on call when you need him. A Virtual Assistant can pretty much do anything that doesn’t require their physcial presence.

There are varying levels of experience and skills available from Virtual Assistant companies. Some are highly skilled and can help you with such activities as keeping your financial books, updating your web page, and even drumming up new leads for your business. Other Virtual Assistants focus on doing the more mundane tasks for you like making travel arrangements and doing internet research.

Since this was my first experience with a Virtual Assistant, I decided to go with the a company that specializes in taking care of the many short duration but very distracting tasks that come up throughout the day.

After a fair amount of research on the internet (a task I would have loved to have delegated to a Virtual Assistant), I discovered a relatively new comer to the business, TimeSvr that repeatedly received great reviews from their clients. I decided to give them a try. I won’t fully restate their service offerings here; you can visit their web site for that. Sufficed to say that for 69 USD, you receive up to 8 tasks daily that require 15 to 20 each to complete.

My Trial Period with TimeSvr

I signed up with free three-day trial period with the company on Monday morning. It took just a few minutes and was relatively painless. Shortly thereafter, I received a welcome email describing the many ways I can submit tasks: the dashboard, Skype, email, and a telephone call are all available.

My First Task: A Clarification

I decided to test out the timeliness of their responses so my first request was very easy. I asked for some clarification on their services. Within an hour, I received a very polite email explaining exactly how they can help me to save time during the day. I was impressed since I know that the company is based on the other side of the world and it was night time there.

My Second Task: Location Information

For my second request, I asked my Virtual Assistant to find the closest UPS drop-off location that would accept a box of a certain size. Within 20 minutes, I received another email providing me with the location address. The email even included the name of the person that my Virtual Assistant spoke with confirming that they’d accept packages of the size I’d indicated.

My Third Request: Internet Research

The third task I asked of my Virtual Assistant was a bit more difficult. I asked him to find some possible course materials for a technical class that I may deliver to a client. I gave him a basic outline with a list of topics that I’d like to cover. I also explained some other preferences I have.

This request took much longer to complete; in fact it took nine hours to for me to receive a reply. I can’t say if the research took that long or if there may have been some kind of technical glitch in their system that prevented my Virtual Assistant from becoming aware of my new task.

I did however submit a fourth task before this one was complete and within one-half hour of delegating that task, this one was also completed.

My Forth Request: Internet Searching

My fourth request was very straightforward. I asked for a recipe for cooking pizza in a Dutch Oven. I made it easy for them by providing some potential locations for the information.

In half an hour, I received links to several recipes, along with a link to some instructions for cooking with Dutch Ovens. A nice touch, I thought.

Parting Thoughts

Overall, I was very impressed with the timeliness and quality of services that I’ve received from TimsSvr. Every person I’ve communicated with has been very professional and pleasant.

I’ve only used the Dashboard to submit tasks so I cannot comment on the other means. However the Dashboard has proven very convenient. It even has a good mobile front end page too.

70 USD isn’t cheap, but for what you get from TimeSvr, it’s worth it. The way I see it, if it saves me one hour a month the service has more than paid for itself.

As an aside, I didn’t receive any free compensation for this review. However my Virtual Assistant did have a hand it helping me to put it together. I asked him to find the pictures for me and to find me a list of predictive quotes that later proved to be false. Not bad, eh?

Oh, and one more thing. I’ve referred through this post to my Virtual Assistant. In actuality, it’s a team of people that field my requests. You can, if you prefer, actually contract with a specific individual within TimeSvr. I may consider that one day but for now this arrangement meets my needs.

Now some questions for you:

1. Have you used a Virtual Assistant?
  2. Would you be comfortable using a Virtual Assistant for more complex tasks?
  3. What are some tasks that you’d like to outsource?

26 Responses to My Experience with a Virtual Assistant using TimeSvr

1. Steve Jones says:

Does it really save you time if you need to clarify things? Or if they assistant doesn’t learn about your habits?

I’d be really curious to see if this works well over a longer period, say a month or two, for you.

2. Joe says:

I’ll post a follow up in a month or two.

Another company that I considered and may one day grow into is LongerDays.com. They seems to be geared to higher-end services.

For now, though, TimeSvr has more than paid for itself with just one request.

3. Sandy says:

Interesting – I have ever only used an individual person as a va – not a community like TimeSvr – I have used something similar for my article writing services. I guess with a community you can find people who are good at various tasks…

4. Mike Walsh says:

This actually looks kind of interesting. Getting control over my time and priorities is a tough task sometimes. I am not sure how many of those research/internet search/etc. type of tasks I tend to have but I can think of one example right now I’d like to give the free trial a shot with and see how it works out…

I’m not the “Make dinner reservations and put it in my calendar and call my wife” kind of requestor… I like to just do that part in person, for the rare times we eat out (I know you are in that same boat also, Joe) but as my part time/side consulting life grows and my personal life gets busier with one more on the way perhaps it has advantages.

5. Joe Webb says:

Mike – You’re right; I don’t have a lot of dinner reservations to make. But I sure wish I had subscribed to this service a couple of years ago when I was traveling more often.

I think that at some point I may find that I need the more skilled services of LongerDays, but at the moment I’m still getting used to the idea of delegating the tasks.

If you decide to try them out, let me know how it goes.

6. Stephen Tirone says:

Just came across Siri, via an iPhone application search. Looks like it may be useful and easy. If you try it (I haven’t had a reason to try it myself yet), I’d be interested in your take on it.

• Hooray, Siri can now talk. The virtual assistant companies are shaking!!!!
      Enter Iphone 4S, Exit Steve Jobs, the Master!

• ha! VA companies are not shaking in fear of Siri. Maybe in 5 or 10 years when the technology has developed enough that Siri can do more than set a reminder or do an “internet search.” At that point we should all be worried. There is software out there right now that can write basic news articles about sports events, or summarize the daily stock news. Combine that technology with visual animation and even on camera reporting jobs could be a thing of the past. We will be telling our grandchildren “we used to have weathermen.”

7. Joe Webb says:

Siri looks interesting, Stephen. I may have to give it a try. If you decide to try it, let me know what you think.

8. bob says:

A Virtual Assistant bring reliability, competence, creativity and other great characteristics to your business without the insane costs.

9. Pingback: My Productivity Tools « WebbTech Solutions

10. Katie Herzing says:

So glad to hear more and more Entrepreneurs are leaning towards Virtual Assistants!

I, myself, am a Virtual Assistant and love what I do and how I can help so many people. It really is a win-win situation. I get the luxury of working from home and my customers get the luxury of better time-management, no overhead, benefits or personnel-related expenses and the Entrepreneur can now focus on the more important duties like growing and expanding their business!

11. Ciara Dawson says:

I completely disagree, I recently went to their website at http://www.timevr.com and spoke to one of the representative name “Ammar” and the way he spoke to me was undefinable, I was in a shock to see some for the first time ever spoke to me online specially on live chat, im sorry, but i really heard good stuff about these fella’s and what I personally experienced was totally disrespectful. the representative told me “who ever you are get lost and get a life” I certainly think this was unacceptable for anyone ! I think Timesvr just lost a valuable client and a reputation. If this is the way timesvr treats their clients then they should better shut down !

Regards,
    Ciara Dawson
    ciara.dawson@ymail.com

• Ciara Dawson says:

As an afterthought. I take my words back as they are not a tad bit true.

Regards,

Ciara Dawson
      ciara.dawson@gmail.com

• Joe says:

Thanks for the follow up on this Clara. I’m still using TimeSvr for some of my tasks and they’ve always been very professional. They’ve exceeded my expectations in many ways.

I will say, however, that I’ve found some limitations with TimeSvr. They are structured to handle a lot of very discreet tasks. They are not geared toward small to medium sized project tasks. And since I don’t deal with the same person every time, I cannot get to know and grow the assistant toward my preferences.

I’m going to blog more about my experiences with TimeSvr and a couple of other solutions later. Stay tuned.

12. Pingback: My Most Popular Posts From 2010 « WebbTech Solutions

13. Pingback: Opportunity Cost versus Real Cost « WebbTech Solutions

14. Barry says:

I am the only one who is having a bad time with these guys. I am starting to feel I am nuts. I needed to change a doctors appointment. After 2 hours of not seeing anything done and stressing I had to call the doctor myself. There response is I had to expect to wait 2 hours for a phone call task. They missed 3 wakeup calls in a month. Sent a reminder at 2 am, that I asked for at 2 am.

Didn’t call patients for me until I bugged them, basically blamed me for every complained I made.

When they do it well they get I done really good, but they screw it up they are awful. I really feel I am going nuts.

• Joe Webb says:

Ouch Barry. Sorry to hear you’ve had some troubles with TimeSvr.

Although I’ve been a subscriber for almost a year now, my use of their services has had peaks and valleys. I’ve tried a couple of other solutions as well.

I’m going post an update to this blog soon describing my experiences.

Hope yours improves.

Joe

15. Pingback: Balancing Work and Life « WebbTech Solutions

16. Pingback: OutSource Your Task: TimeSvr.com

17. Pingback: OutSource Your Task: TimeSvr.com

18. Woah this weblog is magnificent i like studying your posts. Stay up the good paintings! You recognize, a lot of individuals are looking around for this info, you could help them greatly.

19. Greate pieces. Keep writing such kind of info on your blog.
    Im really impressed by your site.
    Hey there, You have performed a fantastic job.
    I will certainly digg it and for my part suggest to my friends.
    I am sure they will be benefited from this site.

20. Pretty! This has been a really wonderful post.
    Many thanks for providing this info.

21. Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you penning this post plus the rest of the
    website is also very good.