Day 1 of PASS

Day 1 of the PASS Community Summit 2009 was a great day; lots of fun and good information.

Thanks for everyone who attended my Birds-of-a-Feather table during lunch. Feel free to shoot me an email to stay in touch.

And a big thanks to everyone who came to my “Enhance Your T-SQL for Better Performance” session yesterday afternoon. The demo code will be available on the PASS Summit site and my blog site in the next day or two. Stay tuned.

Here are my notes from Day 1 of the 2009 PASS Community Summit.

• http://twitpic.com/o79jd @kekline has a long line at the Quest booth for his book signing at # sqlpassabout 14 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • Need to think about having a Twitter monitor during one of my sessions much like @PaulRandal did for @KimberyLTripp. That was good. #sqlpassabout 15 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • Need to think about having a dedicated Twitter monitor during one of my sessions much like @PaulRandal did for @KimberyLTripp. That was goodabout 15 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • Moving from the 6th Floor of #sqlpass where I was working down to the Exhibitors Reception on the 4th Floor. #sqlbingoabout 15 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • OH “Today has been really great.” talking about #sqlpass.about 15 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • @PaulRandal Cool that you’re monitoring this. I just pointed someone at #sqlpass to your blog post about it too.about 15 hours ago from TweetDeck in reply to PaulRandal
  • @AndyLeonard Did you just vote for something?about 15 hours ago from TweetDeck in reply to AndyLeonard
  • @kbriankelley hesitantly clicked on the link. Yeah, @PaulRandal had this convo on twitter a while back too. Just caught up with @AjarnMarkabout 15 hours ago from TweetDeck in reply to kbriankelley
  • @t_burger Not in there right now, but I’m on twitter so keep us posted. 🙂 #sqlpassabout 15 hours ago from TweetDeck in reply to t_burger
  • @Tim_Mitchell Pleasure was all mine! Hoping to catch up with you more before #sqlpass is over.about 16 hours ago from TweetDeck in reply to Tim_Mitchell
  • @SQLSarg @kbriankelley Yes, that’s dated recommendations from what I understand. Was it the presenter that said it? #sqlpassabout 16 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • @t_burger Excellent point. I’ll PASS this along to the program folks.about 16 hours ago from TweetDeck in reply to t_burger
  • is hanging out on the 6th floor at #sqlpass catching up on email and work related activities. #sqlbingoabout 16 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • @WesBrownSQL I don’t about being the guy, but I’m more than happy to talk. Now work?about 17 hours ago from TweetDeck in reply to WesBrownSQL
  • Excellent session by @kekline at #sqlpass. His voice lasted through the whole session. Woot!about 17 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • Need to try out OpenDbDiff – free tool to compare and sync 2 databases – @kekline at #sqlpassabout 17 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • YourSQLDBA, AITScripts, AbaPerls, OlaH, Product Sample Scripts – more free stuff mentioned in @kekline’s session at #sqlpassabout 17 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • OH “If you’re not a script person, I need to slap you on the wrist and chastize you.” ~ @kekline at #sqlpassabout 17 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • CEO to DBA – “Hey, I was reading this thing in SkyMall and we’re going to be implementing it next week.” @kekline at #sqlpassabout 17 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • FineBuild, Assessment & Planning Toolkit, Infrastructure Planning and Design Guide, Best Practice Analyzer – more tools @kekline at #sqlpassabout 17 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • glowing accounts of tools by created @sqlsarg and @MladenPrajdic by @kekline at #sqlpassabout 18 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • SSMS Tools Pack, Tarantino, SQLPSX are some more tools shared/recommended by @kekline at #sqlpassabout 18 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • Extended Events Manager, MSSQL Blocks, Internals Viewer, StandardCDC are some of the tools @kekline is sharing at #sqlpassabout 18 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • if you attended my session today and have the inclination, please let me know how I did at http://bit.ly/3N6tHj (Speakerrate.com) #sqlpassabout 18 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • if you attended my session today and have the inclination, please let me know how I did at http://bit.ly/3N6tHj (Speakerrate.com)about 18 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • OH “With stick figures, you’re not going to get too unsafe for work” ~ @kekline at #sqlpassabout 18 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • OH “There’s no patch for stupidity!” @kekline is cracking the room up at #sqlpass.about 18 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • @leeannepedersen @t_burger @billinkc @mike_walsh Thanks for coming to and tweeting about my session today. #sqlpassabout 18 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • OH “Strap on your goofy, because we’re going to go 100 mph” ~ @kekline #sqlpassabout 18 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • sitting in @kekline’s session in room 615 at #sqlpass on free tools in SQL Server. He’s going to cover a ton of info.about 18 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • RT @SQLRockstar: meeting @PaulRandal -Tripp #passawesomeness #sqlpass <– getting absolutely spanked by them in the SQL Bowl was fun too.about 18 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • Thanks to everyone who attended my T-SQL session today. I hope you found it worth while. #sqlpass #sqlbingoabout 18 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • @billinkc doh! Thanks for letting me know about the typo!about 18 hours ago from TweetDeck in reply to billinkc
  • getting setup for my T-SQL session in room 615-617 – #sqlpass #sqlbingoabout 20 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • Had a wonderful BOF talk with Tim, Trevor, Andrew, Steven, & JR. #sqlpassabout 20 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • heading to the Birds-of-a-Feather luncheon; hosting the IT Consulting table. If you’ve ever thought about IT consulting, join me #sqlpassabout 22 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • OH “Professional organization membership and volunteer activities adds a lot of value when you’re interviewing.” @sqlboywonder at #sqlpassabout 22 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • @kbriankelley LOL! Yeah, maybe…about 22 hours ago from TweetDeck in reply to kbriankelley
  • there are 150 copies of the SQL Server MVP Deep Dives book for sale at the #sqlpass conference bookstore. We’re having a book signing Wed.about 22 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • OH “We have a guy in my office. We’re lucky if he wears pants in the winter…..he wears short.” ~ @sqlboywonder. #sqlpassabout 22 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • @onpnt “Tell me about a time when you worked on a project that didn’t go as planned and how you handled it.” Role playing as a demo #sqlpassabout 22 hours ago from TweetDeck in reply to onpnt
  • just asked an interview question to @sqlboywonder in his soft skills session at #sqlpass.about 22 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • sitting in @sqlboywonder’s session on soft skills at #sqlpass.about 22 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • sitting in @sqlboywonder’s session on soft skills.about 22 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • Was sitting beside @sqlboywonder in the #sqlpass keynote. He’s leaving to get ready for his soft skills presentation at 1015am pst.about 23 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • RT @unclebiguns: RT @kekline: Will entity framework futures bring DBAs and devs closer together or drive them further apart? #sqlpassabout 23 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • People are getting a bit antsy. This is a long keynote at #sqlpass. We’re at nearly 2 hours already. People starting to trickle out.about 23 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • tweeting drains my laptop’s battery quickly; about to failover to my iPhone for tweets. #sqlpassabout 24 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • RT @buckwoody: #sqlpass Good recovery. Note to self: don’t hit “help” in CTP1…about 24 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • uh-oh, Step 1 of a simple 5 step process just produced an error. Nice recovery though. #sqlpass.about 24 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • if the #sqlpass Keynote goes much longer, Ted Kummert will glow in the dark. He’s standing way too close to the humming 192 CPU box.about 24 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • RT @AndyLeonard: I’m so jealous @way0utwest – I haven’t received a @SqlRockStar sticker… :{< <– barter for bacon.about 24 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • RT @way0utwest: I got a SQL Bits mug at #sqlpass, along with a sqlrockstar sticker. Another reason to come to the Summit.about 24 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • RT @SQLChicken: RT @blythemorrow: everyone at #sqlpass can come meet PASS Director @douglasmcdowell from 10-11 today at the PASS Boothabout 24 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • When the fans for a192 CPU server all kick on at one time, it sounds like an Apache helicopter is buzzing by. #sqlpassabout 24 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • @SQLSarg Thanks for the RT with the #sqlpass hash tag. Too much good stuff to remember everything.about 24 hours ago from TweetDeck in reply to SQLSarg
  • Note to self: practice typing while listening to important stuff before #sqlpass next year.about 24 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • got a demo from @AndyLeonard last night of his AndyWeather setup: weather station, twitter api & SSIS to tweet weather in Farmville #sqlpassabout 24 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • just blogged Day Zero of PASS (Pre-conference Seminar with Kim Tripp) – http://bit.ly/49960habout 24 hours ago from TweetDeck
  • RT @buckwoody: #sqlpass SQL Server ships more units than Oracle and DB2 combined <– WOW!!1 day ago from TweetDeck
  • photos of Rushabh standing in for Donald Farmer. He’s wearing a long haired wig. Very funny. Hope the photos are available later #sqlpass9:00 AM Nov 3rd from TweetDeck
  • Ted is sharing photos of Wayne Snyder from last year when he was on stage on a Harley Davidson #sqlpass.8:59 AM Nov 3rd from TweetDeck
  • Ted Kummert is sharing his Top 5 reasons it’s great to be at PASS. #sqlpass.8:56 AM Nov 3rd from TweetDeck
  • SQL Server 2008 R2 is coming in the first half of next year according to Ted Kummert. Should be an exciting year for SQL Server. #sqlpass8:55 AM Nov 3rd from TweetDeck
  • Ted Kummet, Senior VP of a bunch of stuff at Microsoft is taking the stage to Sharp Dressed Man at #sqlpass The room is packed.8:53 AM Nov 3rd from TweetDeck
  • OH “The cloud is about providing IT as a service to businesses” ~ Bob Muglia at #sqlpass8:43 AM Nov 3rd from TweetDeck
  • OH “We’re on a journey to Virtualization and that should help…..” ~ Bob Muglia at #sqlpass8:38 AM Nov 3rd from TweetDeck
  • just saw a 192 processor box running Microsoft SQL Server. Going to CDW.com now to see if I can order one. hahahaha #sqlpass8:28 AM Nov 3rd from TweetDeck
  • Bob Muglia, President of Server and Tools Business for Microsoft is taking the stage at #sqlpass to the tune of Back in Black by AC/DC.8:19 AM Nov 3rd from TweetDeck
  • Q&A with the PASS Board on Wednesday afternoon 430pm in room 6E at #sqlpass.8:15 AM Nov 3rd from TweetDeck
  • Is sittting in the opening keynote of #sqlpass listening to Wayne Snyder talk about the SQL community.8:11 AM Nov 3rd from TweetDeck
  • @mike_walsh still in the Sheraton lobby? Looked around but haven’t been able to connect with you.5:51 AM Nov 3rd from TweetDeck in reply to mike_walsh
  • Heading over to the Sheraton lobby for some early morning fellowship at #sqlpass.5:39 AM Nov 3rd from TweetDeck
  • @MladenPrajdic will do as soon as I I boot up my laptop. I’m tweeting from my iPhone currently.5:35 AM Nov 3rd from TweetDeck in reply to MladenPrajdic
  • @MladenPrajdic on the #sqlpass web site for the summit, there’s a downloadable xls sheet of the agenda. If you can’t find it, I’ll email5:08 AM Nov 3rd from TweetDeck in reply to MladenPrajdic
  • @BrentO yep, it’s going to be a great, albeit, long day at #sqlpass.5:04 AM Nov 3rd from TweetDeck in reply to BrentO
  • As a square in the #sqlpass #sqlbingo game, I’ll be tweeting my schedule throughout the day. Looking forward to meeting folks!4:54 AM Nov 3rd from TweetDeck
  • Good morning SQL Tweeps! Welcome to Day 1 of #sqlpass. It’s going to be a fun day.4:46 AM Nov 3rd from TweetDeck
Advertisements

4 Responses to Day 1 of PASS

1. Pingback: Day 1 of PASS « WebbTech Solutions IM Consultant

2. Pingback: uberVU - social comments

3. Pingback: Dew Drop – November 6, 2009 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew

4. forex robot says:

Nice post & nice blog. I love both.